Jess M. Krannich
Practice AreasBusiness Litigation Intellectual Property and Technology
Jess M. Krannich is a partner at Manning Curtis Bradshaw & Bednar. Mr. Krannich is a litigator and trial lawyer with extensive experience in multiple practice areas, including complex commercial disputes, products liability, intellectual property, securities litigation, advertising, non-compete and non-disclosure issues, regulatory compliance, professional services, and antitrust. He has expertise in a variety of industries, including advertising, technology, medical products and devices, health care, manufacturing and fabrication, oil, gas and mining, automotive, multi-level marketing and direct sales, and professional services.
Mr. Krannich represents Fortune 500 companies, middle-market and closely held companies, start-ups, and individuals in a variety of complex civil disputes. He also regularly represents pro bono clients, and has been appointed by federal courts to provide pro bono representation in both civil and criminal matters. Prior to joining Manning Curtis Bradshaw & Bednar, Mr. Krannich was a partner in the Chicago office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. In addition to his law practice, Mr. Krannich enjoys teaching as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah, where he teaches trial advocacy and advanced negotiation.
When he’s not practicing law, Mr. Krannich enjoys traveling, skiing, fly-fishing, playing sports, and enjoying the company of his wife, three young children, and an English Mastiff.
Trial counsel defending largest international fast-food franchising corporation in case involving claims of breach of contract and fraud. Trial team won directed verdict following five-week jury trial, including on trademark infringement counterclaims.
Arbitration counsel to international accounting firm in suit alleging professional malpractice and breach of contract brought by former client involved in international jewelry manufacturing and sales. Obtained award of no liability and zero damages following four-week arbitration.
Defense counsel for Big Four accounting firm in action involving alleged improper valuation of healthcare conglomerate purchased by plaintiff. Successfully moved for summary judgment on some claims and prevailed on remaining claims following jury trial, resulting in verdict of zero liability.
Defense counsel for Fortune 500 telecommunications corporation in lawsuit involving claims of patent infringement, to correct inventorship, breach of contract, and fraud. Obtained summary judgment following five years of litigation, including interlocutory appeal to Federal Circuit.
Trial counsel for international nutritional supplement manufacturer and distributor in class action consumer fraud and false advertising lawsuit. Obtained highly favorable class settlement shortly before trial.
Defense counsel to Fortune 500 technology company in multiple class action securities fraud and related shareholder derivative actions. Successfully moved to dismiss several cases. Negotiated highly favorable settlement on eve of trial in securities fraud action alleging $1.3 billion in damages.
Trial counsel for international consumer goods company in case involving allegations of breach of contract and defamation. Opposing party agreed to dismiss all claims with prejudice following summary judgment briefing.
Counsel for international, Utah-based sports and entertainment company. Representation has included successful prosecution of case involving breaches of non-disclosure, non-compete and trade secret obligations by former high-level employees, resulting in permanent injunction. Also successfully defended products and design and warning defect cases brought by injured patrons.
Counsel to Silicon Valley based technology company in high-profile declaratory judgment action against Utah-based genetics company involving validity of cancer screening patents. Opposing party agreed to favorable settlement and dismissed all claims against client before close of discovery.
Regulatory and defense counsel to Utah-based medical products company. Representation includes successful defense of false advertising claims brought by competitors and regulatory issues involving the EPA.
Defense counsel to international medical products company in action including claims of trade secret, non-disclosure and non-compete violations. Obtained highly favorable settlement following post-discovery mediation.
Lead litigation counsel for international automotive parts manufacturer in various post-bankruptcy actions. Successfully obtained dismissal of multiple actions in state and federal court against both pre- and post-bankruptcy entities.
Defense counsel to largest international oil and gas company in case involving claims of Underground Storage Tank Act violations and fraud.
Defense counsel in case involving breach of contract, fraud, construction defect and insurance disputes related to construction of Four Seasons Resort in Vail, Colorado.
Defense counsel to New York-based technology company in high-profile copyright infringement case brought by Utah broadcasters.
Appointed by Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals as lead counsel to represent pro bono clients in two appeals involving significant issues of constitutional and criminal law.
- J.D., S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah (2005)
- Order of the Coif
- Articles Editor, Utah Law Review
- National Moot Court Team
- B.S., University of Utah, with honors (2002)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Joan B. Gottschall, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Law Clerk to Chief Justice Christine M. Durham, Utah Supreme Court
Licenses and Admissions
- Utah (2013)
- Illinois (2005)
- Illinois Supreme Court
- Utah Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the District of Utah
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Law, S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah (2012-present)
- Member, Executive Committee of Litigation Section of Utah State Bar (2013-present)
- David K. Watkiss – Sutherland II Inn of Court (2013-present)
Professional Recognitions and Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation (2015-2018)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2015-2019)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2014)
- Recipient of Kirkland & Ellis LLP Pro Bono Service Award (2009-2011)
- Jess M. Krannich, In Dedication to Chief Justice Christine M. Durham, 75 U. Albany L. Rev. 101 (2012)
- Jess M. Krannich, James R. Holbrook, and Julie McAdams, Beyond “Thinking Like a Lawyer” and the Traditional Legal Paradigm: Toward a Comprehensive View of Legal Education, 86 Den. U. L. Rev. 381 (2009)
- Jess M. Krannich, A Modern Disaster: Agricultural Land, Urban Growth, and the Need for a Federally Organized Comprehensive Land Use Planning Model, 16 Cornell J. L. & Pub. Pol’y 57 (2006)
- Jess M. Krannich, The Corporate “Person”: A New Analytical Approach to a Flawed Method of Constitutional Interpretation, 37 Loyola Univ. Chicago L. J. 61 (2005)
- Jess M. Krannich, A Defendant Has a Right to Seek Capital Punishment, 2004 Utah L. Rev. 173 (2004)
Seminars and Presentations
- Trial Advocacy, S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah (2014-present)
- Advanced Negotiation Skills/ABA Negotiation Competition, S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah (2012-present)
- Corporate Theory and Constitutional Rights, Loyola University Chicago School of Law (Spring 2006)